Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Our own Christmas Story 2009

Christmas Morning 2009




We have a rule at our house that the merriment cannot begin before 6 am.

Nolan was up at 5:10 waiting patiently in bed for what seemed like an eternity until he popped up next to my side of the bed at exactly 5:59 ready for Christmas "to start".


It's impossible to not give a groggy smile when you can feel the excitement kids seem to give off on Christmas morning. I remember feeling the exact same way when I was a kid. So much fun and anticipation awaiting you just down a flight of stairs!





Santa delivered a brand new red, and no doubt, powerful baseball bat for Nolan to put to good use later this Spring.


This was one of my favorite Christmas surprises this year... Notice the amount of wrapping paper, boxes, and gift bags that Nicholas used to carefully package Connor's gift from him.
(When Nick asked Connor what he wanted for Christmas, Connor responded by saying "Peace on Earth". Nick looked a little deflated and said that is nearly impossible Dad...)
But look what he came up with!


.
.
.
.
.







Isn't that hilarious? That is a pea pod and some extra peas laying around on top of our lovely Mother Earth.

.
.
.

After much lazing about our house for most of the morning, we then ventured to Connor's cousins home. Christina did a lovely job of hosting a ginormous Christmas get together. It was so much fun.



Madison and her unbelievably soft new puppy, Emma.





In the cousin gift exchange, Nita drew Nick's name and she made him his very own snack box. Filled to the brim with trial mix, crackers, and even his own can of cheez whiz! He was stoked to know he could stock his room with this mini pantry. Every teenage boy's dream!



Lucky Nolan was the happy recipient of a Snuggie! His 4 year old cousin, Savannah, knew he'd been secretly desiring one of these blankets with sleeves for weeks. Hooray for Savannah!




I loved seeing all of the cousins together this year. Caleb is my youngest nephew at the ripe old age of 16 months. He couldn't get enough of the stereo buttons even after his mother Gerry rigged a coffee table barricade to keep him from pushing buttons. Soooo funny and cute!

Here is a collection of cousins...
Bottom row= Jesse, Nita, Madison, and Reece
Middle row= Nicholas and Ben
Top row= Colten, Nolan, and Jay

It was a fun-filled day where family came together to make memories, share a delicious feast, and remember that life is indeed a wonderful thing.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
The following day it was my turn to host a gathering. My side of the family arrived with bags full of gifts and stomachs empty with the promise of a brunch to be eaten.
It was a casual affair that brought my two cousins and their families to my doorstep. As well as a nice visit with my aunt Linda and uncle Al who are always a joy to have in the house. Even my brother Todd was able to come!! I sure do miss that busy guy.


Here's proof that Todd was in the house. He might as well have worn a red suit that day because he came bearing TONS of toys for ALL of the kids in the house. It was unbelievable and the kids were ecstatic! Thanks Todd!


Here's Adam's oldest girl, Audrey sitting next to Doug's wife, Vivian. Don't they look pretty?

We were all exchanging our gifts when it was my turn to open what Al had gotten for me. I opened a little tiny box to find a tiny little wooden chair. You see, in the Summer of 2008 Al took most of our old fence boards home to recreate a bench he had seen at an artsy boutique somewhere. I thought he had made me an ornament of a mini version of his bench. Then he told me to go out to his car to get the doll that fits on the little chair. When I went outside I saw a GIANT chair/bench in the back of his truck. I was blown away! It is an amazing bench that is made to look like a giant stuffed chair but is completely made from wood. It must have taken him forever to create this work of art. I was astounded and thrilled that he made me one of these artistic creations to put in my garden or yard.


I should really take a picture of it all by it's lonesome so you can see the detail. I love it! It's so pretty that Connor is even considering leaving it in the house! :)
It was another lovely day that made Christmas last just a little bit longer.
I love how each Christmas always has a different feel. Different memories are assigned to each and every one. This one was delightful in every way!














No comments: