Thursday, October 7, 2010

2010 Eastside Family Getaway!

Last weekend we were the lucky guests of my friend Karen and her fantastic family.
I believe this was our third annual Autumn trip to their place on the East side of the state.
And again, the fun never ceased.
Karen and I have been friends for over 32 years and as we get older and thank my lucky stars that our paths crossed way back when. She is a delight and makes me laugh like no other can. Our families took advantage of the glorious sunny day and set off to hike Badger Mountain. It was fun once we got to the top and saw the amazing views of their city down below. We laughed on the way up how it sounded like so much fun to scale a mountain, but came to the conclusion that exhausted muscles, whiny kids, and sweaty clothes really isn't all that much fun. In all seriousness, we really did have fun!
I shouldn't have complained at all because Brad hiked with a 30 lb kid on his back most of the way...





Connor, Karen, Hannah, Sienna, and Nick... resting on boulder bench.
.
.
.
I forgot to mention that the main reason for going on a family hike was to off balance the amount of calories we were to consume that weekend. Besides being a gracious hostess, Karen is a knock out cook!
Let's see... Friday night we met them at Miner's, a drive-in diner famous for their amazing burgers and fries. The fry sauce was an added bonus!
Back at their homestead she served up a mean mud pie for dessert...
.
.
.
Saturday evening we ate the most delicious chicken kabobs ever. (I need that marinade recipe Karen!) Potato salad with bacon...umm.hello. And homemade bread sticks. We were basically in a food coma at this point when Karen brought out the yummy frosted pumpkin bars.
.
.
.
Next thing I knew she was busy in the kitchen making homemade cinnamon rolls in preparation for our breakfast the next day. See what I mean about being a knock out in the kitchen?
.
.
Another highlight of the weekend was when
we all went for an evening walk after stuffing ourselves silly. The guys threw a football amongst themselves, the boys perfected their skateboarding skills, the girls rode their bikes, and Karen and I chatted while pushing Austin along in his stroller.
What I love about spending the time with these guys, watching our families getting along perfectly. The hubbys like each other and the kids play so well together, it makes for a good time for everyone.
.
.
Thanks for yet another fun trip you guys! We love each and every one of you!




1 comment:

PRP said...

I keep reading things on my phone and then not commenting...I'm so lame.

We LOVED having you, as always. Doritos with cheese aside, it was a perfect weekend. Thanks for making the trek yet again. We love you!