Saturday, May 23, 2009

Ninety years ago....

Happy Birthday Grandma Salty!
This lovely lady is my Grandmother.
Ninety years ago on this day she was born!
She is my father's mother and has always been a source of inspiration to me. She's the type of person you meet that can't help but make other people smile. Her wit and fun loving ways light up the room and keep people laughing. I love her dearly.
As a kid, we would visit her and grandpa at their beautiful house in Minnesota. It was built by my grandfather and was nestled in the trees on a small hillside along the banks of one of 10,000 Minnesota lakes.
I have fond memories of this place. I still cannot play dominos to this day without thinking of my grandma. I remember waking up each morning to a smorgasbord of breakfast goodies, but my all time favorite was grandma's toast. I swear she made the very best toast...it might be that it was made from white bread which we NEVER had, that was a big treat!
They had a pool table in their basement where my brothers and I perfected our game. When I wasn't playing pool shark you could find me sitting at her organ performing such tunes as Moon River and Que Cera Cera...
I loved fishing with her everyday, we'd hop in their little metal boat and cruise around the lake early in the morning trying to catch something yummy. I usually ended up catching a bunch of seaweed and she would always say.... "Looks like Kelly is serving salad tonight!"
My grandma has the best sense of humor. She even had a fishing hat that she embellished with sequin letters that said "Happy Hooker". Gotta love that crazy lady!
Those summers spent in Minnesota have created fond lasting memories that I will never forget.
I can't help but smile when I think about her, she's just so special. For ninety years now she has spread her joy and I'm so thankful she's in good health. I have no doubt she is celebrating this milestone with a smile on her face and a spring in her step.
I love you Grandma!

2 comments:

PRP said...

1) I can't believe she's 90!

2) She looks exactly the same!

I love crazy Grandmas. They make everything better! Happy birthday!

Anonymous said...

Happy Belated Birthday- Grandma Salty! She reminds me of Brian's grandma. It's amazing the little things we remember that we never will forget!-Brenda