Friday, August 12, 2011

Aunt Pat- we love you!

Gone much too early, but will never be forgotten- Patricia Ann Carroll. (Pat is in the front on the left wearing a dress- taken in 1997 at my grandparent's 50th wedding anniversary party.)
.
.
.
Earlier this week, my dear Aunt Pat lost her battle with ALS. (Lou Gehrig's disease) I cannot stop thinking about her and how life is a precious gift. Losing a loved one makes you want to soak up every part of life to the fullest, breathe in a little deeper, and take time to enjoy even the simplest things of every day life.
.
.
Pat was my mom's older sister who lived on the East Coast. Unfortunately, I didn't get to know her as well as I would have liked because of the distance between us. But I can tell you from the handful of visits I had with her over my lifetime that she was an extraordinary lady. If I were asked to describe Aunt Pat, I would say she was a petite and lovely woman. Her personality was spunky and fun. I always remember her with a smile on her face and a quick witted comment coming out of that smile. She was intelligent and sassy. One of the things I will miss about her, is her letters. She had a knack for writing the most heartfelt letters. Reaching in the mailbox to find a Christmas card from Aunt Pat was always a highlight. She was an artist and loved to paint beautiful floral and landscape scenes... one of which she turned into a Christmas card. I need to dig that one out and frame it!
.
.
.
My mom is so sad to have lost her sister. She looked up to her and really enjoyed her company. I hate the empty feeling that follows the loss of a loved one. Hopefully Pat's family will be able to take comfort in each other and remember all of the wonderful stories and memories they have of her.
.
.
.
We will all miss you Aunt Pat. Rest in Peace, you were loved more than you know!

3 comments:

secondsister said...

So sorry about your aunt Pat. She sounds like a wonderful lady. We do need to cherish all our loved ones every minute they are here. We are so blessed to still have Mom (grandma, granny) @ almost 92.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Suz said...

Sorry to hear about your family's loss. Unfortunately it seems to take a sad thing like this to make the rest of us slow down and remember what really matters in life.