Tuesday, April 19, 2011

You can teach an old dog a new trick!

Getting older is no fun. I see it every day at work when people come in with new ailments attributed to their aging bodies. (Take your calcium people... take it when your young! :))

It's so true that our bodies just can't keep up like they used to when we were young and spry. Even at the ripe old age of 39 I'm a little hesitant to partake in some activities because I'm afraid I'll pull a muscle or break something. Lame! I'm currently going to the gym regularly in hopes to get my body in better shape so I don't have to be so cautious.

My husband has a theory on growing older. He notices that as people age they have a tendency to spiral into ever smaller circles of activity and experiences. Over time, people get comfortable doing the same routines and are much more resistant to change. Trying a new experience or learning a new or difficult skill seems too daunting and therefore people avoid them all together. Pretty soon you find yourself sitting in the Lazy boy recliner doing crosswords in front of the television rather than taking a new class or venturing outside to see a new sight.

I hate to say that I can see myself on the way to the Lazy Boy recliner... I need to broaden my horizons and try something new. But Connor? He's bucking the system!

Yup, that's right... My "older than me husband" has decided to take on a new venture that has always appealed to him. He signed up for Scuba Diving lessons and for that I am so proud! He has the gear he needs and will be participating in several lessons that will grant him the Scuba certification he has always dreamt about. How cool is that?!

I hope he has a blast with this new experience. I'm sure he will see some amazing new things under the deep blue sea that he will be able to share with us. Who knows...maybe I'll be the next one signing up for Scuba lessons? Or maybe I'll just stay on the shore, perhaps Hula lessons are in my future? :)

2 comments:

PRP said...

I love that about Connor, always going after what he wants. I hope to be a little more like that, although you know I won't be signing up for scuba any time soon! But Brad and I WILL accompany you on your first international diving trip!!!

secondsister said...

Maybe Connor will want to scuba dive @ our house. Terry has his card, but can no longer dive. Erik took the lessons, but never took his final exam for the card. (Sounds like the old Erik doesn't it) He sure has changed with his Fish & Wildlife job that he loves. Congratulations Connor on trying something new!!